The presentation today was awesome because Salthaven brought real animals in to show us. Brian brought a black rat snake named Gus and a falcon named Shakar. Brian also told us many stories about the different animals Salthaven has rescued and re-released into the wild.
Today we learned how to protect animals:
1. Never feed a deer or any other animal cow’s milk or bread.
2. Never leave fishing line or water bottles or any garbage on the ground because it can harm animals.
3. Make sure our garbage cans are locked so animals can’t get in.
4. Never keep a wild animal as a pet because it won’t learn how to be an animal and it will be afraid of other animals. They don’t learn how to fly or find food and then they can’t survive on their own. They aren’t wild anymore. It could also be dangerous to us because it is a wild animal.
What should you do if you find a wild animal that is hurt or sick?
1. Don’t touch the wild animal.
2. Check to see if it has a band on its leg. Look at the animal to see how it is hurt so we can tell Salhaven what might be wrong.
3. Go home and tell your mom or dad or whomever is looking after you.
4. Call Salthaven!
Today in Health class, we learned how to brush our teeth properly. We had visitors that are dental hygienists from the Health Unit that talked to our class and showed how to take care of our teeth and keep them clean. We all got a toothbrush and a timer to take home to brush our teeth twice a day. They also gave us a tracking sheet to help us remember to brush twice a day.
Your browser does not support the video tag
~ to learned to brush in circles (Ryan)
~ that you have to eat vegetables to get your teeth nice and strong (Erica)
~ to brush our for 2 minutes and 2 times a day which is at night and in the morning (Josiah)
~ to brush the inside of our teeth (Breanna)
~ to brush our bite area which is the top of the teeth last (Boyd)
~ to make sure you brush your teeth and if you don’t, bacteria will chew a hole through your teeth called a cavity (Cohen)
~ that when your teeth feel funny you need to go to the dentist (Tia)
~ that we should brush our teeth properly is none of your adult teeth fall out (Brody)
~ how to brush our teeth the proper way (Katie)
Today (Dec. 18), we had a health nurse come to Stephen Central. She came to teach us the healthy food groups and what is healthy and what is not healthy.
These are some facts we learned:
~ for a snack you should have two food groups (Boyd)
~ if you have a pop every day you would have a bag of sugar in your body (Ryan)
~ for supper you should have three food groups (Katie)
~ there is a fruit called kiwi (Connor)
~ I learned that there is colours from the rainbow of the food groups (Maricela)
~ I learned that at six you need to have 3 milks a day (Cohen)
~ for lunch I have a sandwich (Tyson)
~ I learned that you can put two food groups together (Erica)
~ I learned that there is really a healthy juice which is orange juice (Ginger)
~ I learned about drinking more healthy drinks (Madison)
~ for a healthy meal you have to have 3 food groups in your body (Tia)
~ I learned that ice cream is a diary product and sometimes it has sugar in it (Josiah)
~ I learned that yoghurt is healthy (Breanna)
~ I learned that there is healthy meal (Brody)
~ you should eat healthy too (Wyatt)
~ I learned that you are allowed to eat junk food but only when are done your healthy foods but you have to eat from all four food groups (Brian)