With the holidays quickly approaching, you may be setting aside some time to look at how you might incorporate Google Classroom into your program – or maybe you’ve explored Google Classroom and have questions that need answers. What follows is an overview of Google Classroom that you may find useful. If you would some help getting started, or you would like to see Google Classroom in action, AMDSB has some fabulous Tech Coaches who are available to support you! Please see your TRA for more information.
Google Classroom is a new tool in Google Apps for Education that helps teachers create and organize assignments quickly, provide feedback efficiently, and easily communicate with their classes. Sometimes referred to as an LMS (learning management system), Classroom was designed in collaboration with teachers for teachers.
Here are some of the things you can do with this platform:
- Create and collect assignments paperlessly
- Automatically make copies of Google documents for each student
- Create Drive folders for each assignment and for each student to help everyone keep organized
- Provide direct and real-time feedback and grades
- Keep track of who has turned in assignments
- Quickly review assignments
- Send announcements and start class discussions instantly
- Students can see all of their assignments on an assignments page
- Students can share resources with each other or provide answers to questions on the stream.
- Students can open their assignments and work on them right from their phone or tablet.
- Students and teachers can view their classes and communicate with their classmates in real time
- Students can keep track of what’s due on the Assignments page and begin working with just a click
Welcome to Google Classroom!
Tutorial: Getting Started with Google Classroom by Amy Mayer
You can also visit the AMDSB Technology Learning Community Home page and scroll down the left hand sidebar widget until you see the word “Google”. I have shared all of my Google files and support documents with you!